Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Chifundo


These are the same girls as on the picture last time, school was out and they were all going nuts, in their blue little dresses

Jep. Friends, and other guys who we know, or who know us (happens annoyingly often; people knowing me, without me ever meeting them), are complaining that ‘we’ve changed our lives’ and that ‘we have been missing’. It’s true. For the last two and a half weeks we have been ‘beuking’, to finish the work; our reports.
Since the report is getting close to being finished now, we are preparing a goodbye-party for all our Malawian friends, for this coming Friday. Of course everybody is invited, also if you’re living on another continent...
Somewhere I would like to leave quietly, without saying goodbye to all our new friends. Because, the idea that I’ll have to leave this part of Malawi in less than a week, makes me feel sad and all mixed up. Of course I like, no, I love to start travelling, but I had such a great time here. So good, it’s not understandable. Or never completely.
Even if I would have the chance come back, it would never ever be the same again. Just wishing this part of my life would never end. Yeah, I’m pretty sure I found my third home country here. After falling in love with Canada, even before I had ever set a foot there, Malawi is another place in this world where I feel at home. From now on, three continents will be tearing my heart apart. I’m in trouble. Because, where do I want to go, to live my life? Maybe, just to make things easier, I should pick a new continent. South-America or New-Zealand, something like that... Good idea?

I’ve been watching some football games here at the Likuni grounds lately. How you’re able to see the difference between the two teams? Simple. One of the teams takes of his T-shirt and the other ones keep it on. Easy as that.
Just when you think you couldn’t possibly get any dirtier, the dry season kicks in. The dustier, the dirtier… Bushes close to the road are covered with dust till a height of around 2 meters. And you know what, they like to call dry season winter here; its sometimes down to 16 degrees early morning… Reason enough for local people to walk around with winter coats, sweaters and tooks during the morning. Still wondering who they’re trying to fool.

Luther, Lotta, Ruth, Rhotta, Loto, Lottie, Chifundo (messy), Lota, Rotte etc.

P.S. Maybe my Chichewa-name Chifundo is the best one right now, because my thoughts are such a mess.









2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Ms. Lotta,
thanks again so much for sharing with us all your incredible journeys...try not to be sad to leave this wonderful place you would like to call home, but rejoice in the fact that God brought you there and allowed you to do and to be all that you are and all that you have done. I can certainly empathize with you...I am feeling sad for you!! I know what it feels like to leave something, some place behind that you have come to love!!...for a variety of reasons.
Enjoy your last week there...celebrate and live each day with no regrets and no looking back.
Thinking of you,
Warm hugs,
Tammy

Anonymous said...

haha, dat meisje vreet je bijna op! Geniet van het reizen Luther, ik kan niet wachten tot die 7 weken voorbij zijn, jij zou vast willen dat ze verdubbelt werden... liefs, Renée