Friday, June 22, 2007

Found a new (expensive) hobby!

Last Wednesday we took the bus from Iringa to the Haven of Peace. The bus, size like a big touring car, took of at 7 in the morning and arrived in Dar-es-Salaam around 3 pm. During the, pretty comfortable, trip we were treated on some nice scenery because of the ever changing landscape. We even saw a lot of antelopes and zebras, plus a herd of elephants while passing through a National Park.
In Dar we found a place to sleep at the YWCA, afterwards we walked along the busy, noisy streets, till we found the Indian Ocean. Saw the sun set while searching for sea shells, bare footed.
Thursday we enjoyed good and cheap internet, a grocery with quite some western products (haribo, nutella) and we (were) discovered (by) a cheap safari bureau. I spend the rest of the day, night and following day in bed, feeling sick. But according to the stories of the other girls they didn’t see much more than I did; a real big city, complete with noise, dirt, lots of traffic, some unfriendly people and a lot of construction work going on. It didn’t really seem like an African city to me. At the other hand, still everybody noticed us, being white; a lot of people were hanging around in the streets doing nothing and the temperatures were still high.
On Saturday we took the slow (and because of that, cheap) ferry to Zanzibar. Again, a whole new world, and a new stamp in my passport. The Arabic influences here on Zanzibar are strong; almost a 100% Arabic names and many, many Muslims and musk’s. Walking around Stonetown at night, dark sky with bright stars above, between buildings in Arabic style and palm trees hidden in gardens behind high walls, I felt like Alladin could pop around the corner every second. The narrow streets where you get lost easily, remind me of Venice.
Went on an unforgettable spice tour Sunday and moved to the Northern tip of the island Monday morning early, because of the white sand beaches. The day of our arrival back home keeps coming closer, so we decided to take a four-day-washing-course. Four days of soaking of the dirt of our skins in the Indian Ocean while taking a scuba dive course. After four dives, reading a book and writing an exam, I can call myself an Open Water Diver since yesterday. Sorry to say may camera isn’t able to take picture under water; it was beautiful. We’re back in Stonetown now, just bought tickets for the ferry back to Dar tonight at 10 pm, tomorrow morning it’s up to Arusha, with a stop along the way. Don’t know where precisely. And the rest of the day? I’m gonna enjoy the sun, the air that smells like the sea, maybe go for a last swim and enjoy the good seafood on the market.

Greetings!

A proud Open Water Diver







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lotje, Lotje, Lotje! de verhalen knallen de pan uit! gaaf gaaf gaaf! blij dat je je best vermaakt! foto's zijn ook super! geniet er nog even van zolang als het duurt...! kusje reempje

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness Ms. Lotte!!! I am so jealous now!! Congrats on being a certified diver!! I am so proud of you...we will have to dive somewhere together...sometime during this life. Aren't the underwater colours just phenominal!!! Something like we cannot explain above the sea. Your photos are incredible...thank you, thank you.
I just love reading your blog...my heart skips a beat each and everytime. I am sure you have a tough time putting words to the incredible adventures you are having. According to my map and my route...you sure have managed to cover and incredible amount of ground!! WOW!!
I so wish I was there with you.
Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you each and every day. I can hardly wait to talk to you one on one when you return home.
Miss you like crazy. Soak up some of that African sun for me and some of that incredible salt water. Gather me a shell or two from the Indian Ocean for my collection...just incase the Lord does not intend for me to get there someday!!
Warm hugs,
Love,
Me