Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Malawi

Wow. I'm in Africa. It is unbelievable. Undescribable... Serious. I just took a minibus to Lilongwe for 30 kwacha (you get 175 for 1 euro), after waiting almost the whole day for a guy that never showed up. And here I am, and I'm gonna give it a try. A try to describe it.

My mum, sister, Leonie and I took the train from Leiden to Brussel Airport Friday morning at 7 am. I slept 6 hours in the last two nights, so I was feeling a kind of aweful. After the shitty goodbyes we were on our own, waiting for our one and a half hour flight to London. Six hours (some sleep, some wondering around the airport and food) after arrival it was time to take the 11 hour flight to Johannesburg. All seats had their own screen to watch some movies, and I could choose the ones I wanted to watch. I even slept some hours, and one more, while waiting for the last plane on a bench in the airport in warm South Africa.
And then it all started. Right there. In a little, almost empty, plane of Air Malawi, where chichewa was spoken through the intercom. Right there. Flying above Africa, not too high, so we were able to enjoy the view all the time. The landscape was pretty dry above South Africa, but the more North we got, it got greener and greener. It was difficult to stop taking pictures before and while we were landing. I got a stamp so now I'm able to stay for 30 days.

I arrived in a warm, colourful and green land. Full of black people. (Of course :)And it's really Africa as I was expecting it, the same Africa I hoped wasn't true sometimes as well. We sleep at the Likuni Parish, 10 km from Lilongwe (ACEM, PO Box 999, Lilongwe is the mail adress), together with 9 Dutch boys. And there's (fat) Father Peter as well. And kooks, and a garden man and more. Veerle, Leonie and I, share a room, with running water and electricity. We decorated it with our clamboes, some pics and maps of Malawi, Tanzania etc. So far, we didn't do anything usefull. We tried, but making an appointment is hard. We knew, but now we really know.
We've been to Lilongwe in a minibus with 24 people, to look around. Close to the capital the roads are pretty good, around Likuni ok, and at the parish the roads are bad. The garden of the parish smells like a butterfly sanctuary, complete with sounds and birds (blue, yellow, red, everything is possible). Huge insects, huger temperatures and hugest trees ever.
We didn't do anything usefull yesterday and today. Breakfast at 7, some reading, playing some games, we walked around the poor area, played soccer etc. This all, combined with the temperature, blue sky and the blooming garden, makes it difficult to don't feels as if it is summer break. But I'd rather do something. Yesterday afternoon, mr Flemmings from ACEM (the partner organisation of ex-change; Association of Christian Educators of Malawi) took us to a Secondary Girl School. Classes full of girls waving, laughing, giggling. When we entered a class room, they all stood up, and asked us how we were and everything. Mixed feelings, great, weird, fantastic, awesome, everything.

Anyway, I have to go, the internetcafe is closing. I hope to be able to type to you soon. Pictures as well.

Lotte

10 comments:

Kees said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kees said...

He he, finally some stories from Malawi to relieve me from my cold turkey.

Leoni has also blogged her first experience, I guess you guys finally found a working internet café with just one computer ;-).

http://www.leonieinmalawi.waarbenjij.nu/
http://www.veerleinafrika.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Hey Lotje!
klinkt allemaal erg spannend daar in het zuiden, lekker avontuurlijk! ga zo door, Gods zegen gewenst en zet 'em op! ik hou je in de gaten! wel makkelijk 3 verschillende weblogs hahaha! kusje reempje.
p.s. was t leuk in londen?

Melissa said...

Hey Lotte,
It sounds amazing in Africa! I am glad you are enjoying yourself so far! And I am very sure you will find something to do! Hope everything is well!
Smiles,
Melissa
aka Your Canadian Friend Wishing she was in Africa with you!!

Anonymous said...

hey Lotte,

So good to hear from you and to read that everything 's okay. Watch out for the musquitos, stay away from the buffalo's and don't pet the lions:-) Enjoy all the beautifull things and keep us posted!

All the best,

Pieter

Anonymous said...

Hey Lot!!!

Nice picture!!!
Hope you will have a nice and very learning and exiting stay in Africa!! Trying to keep up all the information from you these months!!

Also regards from Jolanda!! ;-)

Kussie Joost

Anonymous said...

Ms. Lotte,
I was thrilled and relieved to read that you have arrived safe and sound!! I can only imagine the excitement!! Please know that I am thinking of you...be safe!!
Warm hugs,
Tammy
Wishing I too was with you!!

Anonymous said...

Lot, kun je een beetje zomervakantiewarmte opsturen met een postzegel dr op? geniet, Geniet en GENIET! tot over 4 maanden en 3,5 week. kus, zus

Anonymous said...

jij bent echt populair...! x

Anonymous said...

Lot, wat een geweldige ervaringen nu al!! Super gaaf! Ik vind het echt heel leuk om zo een beetje te kunnen volgen wat je allemaal doet!
Ik ga de zomer vier weken naar Thailand!:)
Geniet van elke dag zoveel je kunt!
Dikke kus
Ilse