Thursday, May 22, 2008

Milking cows on PEI

Yeah, I guess you're right. You're not going to hear from me too much, anymore... :)
A combination of too much to do, slow internet and not feeling like it. Of course I will put some pictures online every once in a while.

Left Sunday morning at 8.20 in a train heading to Montreal, where I arrived (with a visa) at 6 pm. The first bus, towards Summerside, Prince Edward Island, left at 10.30 pm. And my third bus arrived there, at 4 pm Monday afternoon. Earlier than anybody thought was possible.
My friend Aron, left the parlour right away, when I phoned, to come pick me up and give me a hug (the first smell of cows again; awesome!). That night he showed me around in his house, showed me the farm, I met the farmers, things like that. The farm is a 5-minute-drive away, and behind my temporary home, is a barn with some heiffers. And you can see the sea from the farm, but I haven't been on a beach yet.
There's about 270 cows, being milked right now. At 5 am, 2 pm and 10 pm. Although that third time is only for the high producing group of cows. Me, and Aron too, work from 4.45 till about 6, so we milk twice. Breakfast with toast, and hot meal for lunch included in a day. Guess that if I want to sleep enough I should get to bed at 8 pm...
I love it. Feel like I'm in the right place. And, of course, I'm totally aware of the fact that I have to enjoy it all to the max! So that's what I'm doing.

Talk later!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heey Lotte!

Geniet van het leven als boerin!!! Ik wacht je mooie fotos weer met smart af!! Verder hoef ik er geloof ik nix aan toe te voegen, want ik weet dat koeien melken heel mooi werk is.. ;-)
Ennuh, in groningen kun je ook koeien melken hoor, is 'n stukje dichterbij.. :-)

Dikke KUS

Veerle said...

Mooi zeg!
Om eindelijk te kunnen lezen dat je goed bent aangekomen, je plekje hebt gevonden en de heerlijke koetjes kan ruiken, voelen, smaken....
Ergens toch wel erg jaloers dat ik ook dit weer lang mn neus laat voorbij gaan....

Leonietje,
Hoeveel is het koeienmelken bij Ruben betaald? (Een dikke knuffel, wat liefde en een beetje nsima is genoeg om me te overtuigen om een weekendje te komen!!)

Hou jullie goed meisjes!!

Smak!

Lotte said...

Ha dames!

Wat gezellig hier. Zo met zn drietjes... :) Carlsbergje, bao, en Lucius Banda erbij. Mhmm.
Wordt dikke pret op de bruiloft, k heb er zin in. Jullie vast ook...
Bedankt voor je mail Leonie, t is goed om weer op de hoogte te zijn.
kGa nog even ijshockey kijken, en dan paar uurtjes slapen voordat de dames weer wat liters kwijt willen.

Slaap lekker Leonie, slaap lekker Veerle.

Zucht.
:)

Anonymous said...

hoor die koeien loeien!

home is where the heart is...

je klinkt erg home...

Geniet ervan lieve, stoere Lotte,

kusje reempje

Anonymous said...

Hoi iedereen,

Ik heb waarislotte.blogspot.com gevonden via Startpagina.
Deze site ziet er goed en fijn uit!
Ik wil graag ook zo een mooie site maken. Welke applicatie heb je hier precies voor gebruikt? Mijn blogje ziet er nog saai uit. :(

Bedankt

Tot snel vanuit A'dam
Willy