Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Temptation

Picture this. Or, smell this.
One of those late afternoons, already dark as the night itself at this time of the year. Travelling home using public transport, after a long and tiring day. Last slices of bread were enjoyed hours ago. I'm busy trying to get the most out of my 2,5 hrs of travelling time; music in my ears, for sure, and, whenever I'm not on a bike, I read a book, mostly a study book, but sometimes (as a treat) a reading book.
And that's when it happens! After a first sniffle, I'm starting to be aware of a fat smell. And a bit salty. I hear the sound of a 0.5 L coke bottle, being opened for the first time. Somebody's eating 'fries with mayo' or one of the snacks the Turkisch immigrants introduced; döner, or a turkisch pizza. ... I bite my lip, or chew on my pencil (when I was studying math) and I try to concentrate and forget that watery taste in my mouth...



And this is my view, while I'm trying to remember where in the world I parked my bike that morning...
This period, I'm taking math (4 mornings filled with classes; 2 books in 6 weeks; they're nuts) and 'Soil and water I'. For the latter, the past two weeks, áll classes were about water. And it will still be the same subject next week... :)
Mathematics feels like an impossible task, because I miss a huge part of the basics that most students were learned during the years in highschool. The positive side is that I am improving every day. We'll find out if I learned quick enough during my exam on the 18th of December...

But I will be taking a short break this weekend! This coming Friday night I will be flying to Stockholm, Sweden, with a bunch of friends. Should be back Sunday night late. We're driving to Düsseldorf, Germany, first, because that's where the cheap plane will be leaving. Mhmmm. Have to make sure I don't forget to pack some warm stuff.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dear dear,
yes, i can smell dark autumn afternoons
wet pavement and decaying leaves,
fatty smells, garlic, sweat,
trembling and light headed,
too late for diner, too long since lunch,
on my bike, rushing home
stopped last night to eat some fish along the way
adding thirst to the sensations...

greetz

Bennie, Delft